Monday, March 26, 2012

Blue Valentine

Blue Valentine (2010)

Directed by Derek Cianfrance

Written by Derek Cianfrance and Joey Curtis & Cami Delavigne

Stars: Ryan Gosling, Michelle Williams, Mike Vogel, Ben Shenkman, Faith Wladyka and John Doman

I really wanted to watch Blue Valentine for a long time, but I did not get the chance to watch it in the theaters. When I saw that the movie was on VOD, I jumped at the chance to see it. I am glad that I did.

The movie shows the beginning and the ending of the relationship between Dean (Gosling) and Cindy (Williams). The action takes place in flashbacks when the two met and fall in love with each other. On the other hand, it shows in t he present when Cindy is done with Dean who is very lazy and has no ambitions in his life. Her revelation occurs during a seemingly harmless romantic getaway to a space themed motel room.

The movie reminds me of Closer where it dealt with the beginning and ending of the relationships of the people involved, but I think this movie dealt with it in a raw level. Closer dealt with it on the surface.

I think that Gosling should have gotten an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Dean-- he got an Omie Award instead-- for playing a guy that has no clear path to life when he meets Cindy. Everything seemed clear that he wanted to be with this woman forever. The love doesn't last when when you are growing older. Sometimes, the things that you love about that person would get on your nerves.

Williams deserved her nomination for playing a woman that is very driven woman that is sideswiped by the charming Dean, but when she believed that Dean would have some ambition in his life instead of being drunk and painting houses for a living.

Together Cindy and Dean gave every emotion known to man. They were not afraid to look vulnerable onscreen. Their story was life affirming, heartbreaking and gut wrenching. Now, I understand the title after watching the movie. What would you do when the love is gone?

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment