Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids (2011)

Directed by Paul Feig

Written by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo

Stars: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Chris O'Dowd and Jon Hamm

One of my greatest mistakes was that I did not get the chance to see Bridesmaids when it was in theaters. I heard glowing reviews of movie that it was better than The Hangover. Even my mom saw before I did, she doesn't watch movies that much. I had to get on the ball. The movie is better to watch repeatedly, but I don't think its better than The Hangover.

Annie (Wiig) is down in the dumps when her bakery fails and she has to work in a jewelry store that she despises where happy couple come for their engagement rings. To make matters worse, her best friend, Lillian (Rudolph) announces that she is getting married and wants Annie as her maid of honor. Annie tries to raise to the occasion when she is introduced to the rest of Lillian's bridesmaids. There is the stressed out mom Rita (McLendon-Covey), the naive newlywed Becca (Kemper), the groom's sister Megan (McCarthy) and the seemingly perfect Helen (Byrne). Annie has a strong hate for Helen that causes friction with the entire wedding party.

The way that people described this movie, I thought I would be doubled over laughing, holding my sides, barely breathing. I was a little but I felt something was off with the movie. The biggest negative with the movie is Kristen Wiig. I felt that she does not have the gravitas to carry this movie. Her scenes are very wah-wah. Not very funny. She has to rely on others like McCarthy, Rudolph and the cop that she meets, Rhodes (O'Dowd) to elevate her. That is a great disservice.

The best thing about this movie is Melissa McCarthy. She received an Oscar nomination for her role and I think it was well deserved. When she first appears onscreen, I was busting out laughing. She has a delivery that makes anything hilarious.

The movie as a whole was a hit and miss for me. I went with the same tropes as R-rated comedy go with the sex talk, the bathroom humor, etc. It felt like I had seen it before.

My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment