Friday, October 26, 2012

The Grey

The Grey (2012)

Directed by Joe Carnahan

Screenplay by Joe Carnahan & Ian Mackenzie Jeffers

Based on the short story, "Ghost Walkers" by Ian Mackenzie Jeffers

Stars: Liam Neeson, Dallas Roberts, Dermot Mulroney, Frank Grillo, Joe Anderson, Nonso Anozie, James Badge Dale and Ben Bray

I have never heard of this movie until I heard the praise of it on the Film Junk podcast. Another podcast mentioned a scene in The Bourne Legacy took something out of this movie. The comparison is stretching it a little bit. Seeing the movie, I was underwhelmed by it.

A group of oil men are out in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness. They depart in a plane that crash lands and only seven survivors came out of the charred wreckage. Ottway (Neeson) is a sharpshooter that keeps the wolves from attacking anyone on the oil rig. He leads the other survivors out of the crash site to find semblance of civilization. It comes to the survivors attention that they were in the middle of wolf territory. They need find some to get out of the area before being wolf food.

I understand that a movie would have themes of life and death, spirituality and all that junk. It was repeated endlessly in this movie. The wolves represent the cruel savagery of life and those flashbacks the men make represents the sweet release of death. We get it. I know what was going to happen thirty minutes into the movie.

There was no surprise here. It was duh moment at the end. I liked Neeson here as the distant Ottway. Dallas Roberts played Hendrick. I thought that he was good. The one person that got on my damn nerves was Diaz, played by Frank Grillo. I am faulting his performance. The character of Diaz is annoying. I was praying for him to get his comeuppance sooner rather than later.

The movie overall was fine. Nothing to write home about.

My Rating


No comments:

Post a Comment