Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Wind River

Wind River (2017)

Written and directed by Taylor Sheridan

Stars:  Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Graham Greene, Kelsey Asbille, Apesanahkwat, Gil Birmingham, Tantoo Cardinal, Tokala Black Elk, Martin Sensmeier, and Tyler Laracca

When I mentioned Frozen River on Twitter, a user recommended this movie to me. I am unfamiliar with Taylor Sheridan's movies. Seeing this movie, I want to dive into more of his filmography.

A Wildlife officer, Cory Lambert (Renner) is out in the wilderness when he discovers the body of a young woman, Natalie (Asbille). Since the body was near the Wind River Indian Reservation, the FBI sends an agent, Jane Banner (Olsen) to investigate what happened to her.

The main mission of this movie is to bring to light the plight of Native Americans in reservations. I know the statistics. It is staggering. There is a disproportionate amount of missing women. There is an exorbitant amount sexual assault, domestic abuse, unsolved murders, drug abuse, suicide rates, etc. It's scary. The average American will not know about the rates.

I'm glad that Sheridan made one of the characters be the eyes and ears of the audience with Jane. The way things are done are not the same as it is on the reservation. It has its own set of rules.

I enjoy movies that center around the characters, fleshing them out. Making the environment its own character. Setting the mood throughout the entire movie.

The one big gripe about the movie is a certain flashback scene. I understood why it was there, but I wish things were more ambiguous.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment