Monday, December 5, 2022

Weekly Rewind

During this time of the year, a lot of Oscar movies are coming out left and right. This list is from two weeks of viewing or rewatching.

Smile: I tried to watch this movie to see what the fuss was about. Umm... no. I think I had my fill with horror movies where a woman with insurmountable trauma is dealing with it and the people around thinks that she is crazy. I was done. I didn't finish it. I don't care. DNF

Knives Out (Rewatch): I watched this movie again to prepare myself for Glass Onion when it was released theatrically. It is still a solid whodunit. The right wing to borderline MAGA scenes made me uncomfortable. 8/10

Benediction: People were talking about this movie online. 'It's so great. You should watch it.' I tried to watch it. I was bored out of my mind seriously. I don't a flying fuck about a wartime poet in one of the World Wars. I was yawning at least six times during the forty minutes that I spent with this movie. I did not care to finish it nor will I. DNF 

Bodies Bodies Bodies (Rewatch): After seeing the movie nominated for a couple Indie Spirit Awards, I have decided to revisit this movie. I guess when a certain character dies, I was checked out. It turns out to be a very pointed dark comedy/horror/satire about privilege. Original rating: 1/10. Now: 7/10

Triangle of Sadness (Rewatch): I wanted to see if I see think that the first act was still awful, the second act was better and the third is best. Still true. I still cannot believe that thirty minutes into the movie is dedicated to four separate fights about a fucking bill. Shaking my head. 6/10

The Bear (Season 1): Taking a break from watching mediocre movies, I wanted to see this series. People were saying that it was really good. They were right. A guy throwing to save his family sandwich shop is riveting TV. 9/10

Confess, Fletch: Back on the mind numbingly boring train again. Here is this movie. Yeah, Jon Hamm should not do comedy movies. This movie is like Mr. Bean, but he is talking unfortunately. The characters were bland. The plot was uninspired. It was background noise. I manage to finish it, but I didn't care to review it. Why bother? 2/10 

Aftersun (Rewatch): After seeing the awards buzz with the movie, I wanted to revisit this movie. I didn't understand what was going on the first watch. Maybe I was in the wrong headspace for it. After doing some reading online, watching the movie the second opened my eyes like I have never seen before. Being someone who has social anxiety disorder and depression, I would have recognized that in the Calum character. Sophie is trying to figure out who her father was with the 'mask off." I did not not give it a fair chance. Original rating: 4/10. Now: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment