Monday, December 19, 2011

La mujer sin cabeza

The Headless Woman (2009)

Written and directed by Lucretia Martel

Stars: María Onetto, Claudia Cantero, César Bordón, Daniel Genoud, Guillermo Arengo, Inés Efron and María Vaner

I know that you guys thought that I was thinking another "vacation" from viewing movie, but I had some personal problems that I had to deal with. I hope you understand. Back to the reviewing.

I have always wanted to watch Lucretia Martel's The Headless Woman for a couple of years since I saw the high Metacritic score of 81. I always mistaken this movie for An Unmarried Woman from 1978 with Jill Clayburgh and Alan Bates, which I haven't seen. Maybe one day.

The movie is very subtle in the way that the story is told. A affluent dentist named Vero (Onetto) is distracted on a deserted road and runs over something. She doesn't stop to see what she hits. She drives on. In the days after the ordeal, she is in a haze. Vero is guilt-ridden that she might have a killed a person. Her family thinks that she has simply run over a stray dog. The notion of what she might have done weighs heavily on Vero's conscience.

This is a slow burn kind of movie. You are not spoon fed what exactly is happening with the story. I believe that Martel wanted to leave the story open for interpretation as to whether Vero committed a hit and run or it was all in her mind.

I believe I know what really happened and a couple of critic agree with me. This film is not for everyone. There are those that will get bored and those that will not get it entirely. That's fine. I think that it is a fine piece of work that I crave for instead of the remakes, sequels, prequels that are clogging up cinemas now. I long for a movie like this.

My rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment