Friday, August 5, 2022

On the Town

On the Town (1949)

Directed by Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly

Story by Jerome Robbins

Screenplay by Adolph Green and Betty Comden

Based on their musical

Stars: Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Jules Munshin, Betty Garrett, Ann Miller, Vera-Ellen, and Florence Bates

My intent was to make a double feature with this and Anchors Aweigh. When I didn't like Anchors that much, I scrapped those plans right away. I made the right decision. This psuedo-sequel doesn't fare any better.

Three sailors; Gabey (Kelly), Chip (Sinatra) and Ozzie (Munshin) are on shore leave for only 24 hours. They try to make the best out of the time they have in NYC.

Are you trying to tell me that they were able to go to all of those places in one day? Highly doubtful. The sailors were able to fall in love with three women before they leave. Okay.

The story line is boring. I did not care about what was happening. Some of the dance breaks were cool to see, but it wasn't enough to enjoy the movie.

Rating: 5/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment