Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Aftersun

Aftersun (2022)

Written and directed by Charlotte Wells

Stars: Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio, Celia Rowlson-Hall, Sally Messham, Brooklyn Toulson, Spike Fearn, Harry Perdios, Ruby Thompson, and Ethan James Smith

After looking at the nominations for the Independent Spirit Awards, this movie received five nods. Seeing the love and the universal praise for the movie, I had to check it out. When the movie ended, I was wondering if we saw the same.

The movie takes place during a trip to Turkey in the early 90s where Sophie (Corio) is there with her dad, Calum (Mescal). Yeah. That's it.

This is my biggest problem with the movie. Nothing happens. We see Sophie and Calum sleeping, lounging and swimming.

What was the movie trying to tell me? Memories about her dad? I didn't get it. Why are people showering praise at this movie? Is there something I'm not getting? Seriously, I'm asking the fives of people that are reading this. What is the point of this movie?

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment