Saturday, November 26, 2022

Mad God

Mad God (2022)

Written and directed by Phil Tippett

Featuring the voices of Alex Cox, Niketa Roman, Satish Ratakonda, Hans Brekke, Jake Freytag, Brett Foxwell, and Anthony Ruivivar

I was seeing this movie on people's top ten lists of the year numerous times. Hearing the genesis of this movie made me want to see the end product. The world created is interesting, but the story is severely lacking.

Explaining the movie is hard. An assassin descends into a hellscape with a briefcase and map. There is a bunch of weird shit going on.

I applaud Phil Tippett for completing the movie. He started around 1991 with some animation for it. Dropped it around 1993 then picked it back up a decade ago with help from Kickstarter and another animators to finish it.

The visuals of the movie were something to behold. It was like if Tim Burton was dropped in the world of Fritz Lang. It was surreal, macabre and morose. That can only take you so far. There were a couple of times in the movie that I was dozing off. At least, three. I was trying to find some sort of lifeline to get through it.

The biggest problem with the movie is the narrative. It was disjointed, especially towards the final act. I was confused. I didn't know what was happening.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment