Thursday, May 31, 2012

Beginners

Beginners (2011)

Directed and written by Mike Mills

Stars: Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, Mélanie Laurent, Goran Visnjic and Mary Page Keller

Hello, my tens of readers out there in cyberspace. It has been awhile, hasn't it? I recently has a stint of working for eight days straight and I needed time to recover. I saw that Mike Mills' movie Beginners was On Demand. I saw the acclaim it got for Plummer who won Best Supporting Actor eariler this year. The movie is... well, there.

The movie follows the relationship between Oliver (McGregor) and his father, Hal (Plummer) as he is dying of lung cancer. That is basically what happens in the movie. The presentation of the film is a series of flashbacks when Hal came out as a gay man and started living the "gay lifestyle", before he was diagnosed.

Some of the story deals with Oliver meeting Anna (Laurent) at a costume party where they are immediately attracted to each other. They are both damaged people from broken homes. Geez, I don't how to properly review this movie without giving away spoilers.

My opinion on the movie was that it was trying hard to be a Woody Allen movie. It has a whimsical feel to it. I thought the chemistry between McGregor and Laurent was very good. Okay, let's be honest. I was goo-goo gaga over McGregor in this movie. He was mopey and downtrodden which made him exponentially hot.

I thought I would rave about this movie when I get to write it, but I felt that the movie was not memorable to me. Did Christopher Plummer deserve the Oscar for his portrayal? Personally, no. I think it was a career Oscar like some many actors are getting these days. They would get an Oscar for a blah performance because they were screwed over in previous year. I think that the award show hype machine is getting outta hand. They award people that have the most buzz instead of having the best performance of year. This is one person's opinion.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment