Saturday, September 3, 2022

RRR (Rise Roar Revolt)

RRR (2022)

Directed by S.S. Rajamouli

Story by Vijayendra Prasad

Dialogue by Sai Madhav Burra

Screenplay by S.S. Rajamouli

Stars: N.T. Rama Rao Jr., Ram Charan, Ajay Devgn, Alia Bhatt, Shriya Saran, Samuthirakani, Ray Stevenson, Alison Doody, and Olivia Morris

This movie has been hyped on Film Twitter for the longest time. I have this notion that when a movie is overly hyped that I would end up being disappointed with it. That tradition continues with this one.

Taking place during the British rule of India in the 1920s, this fictionalized account ask what if two revolutionaries; Alluri Sita Ramaraju (Charan) and Komaram Bheem (Rao Jr) team up to exact revenge on local governor Scott Buxton (Stevenson) for his sins from the past.

I was expected to be blown away by the movie. Don't get me wrong, I was in at the first forty minutes of the movie. The pacing of the movie dragged along. I thought that the action was going to amp up to eleven. In some sections it was, but the message of the British oppressors are evil was beating you over the head. I get it. No country wants to be a occupied, but have a compelling story.

If you strip away the tremendous amounts of CGI, the bombastic explosions and over the top action sequences, the movie is just a revenge story that we have seen a thousand times before. I asked myself, did the director get inspiration from Michael Bay? It felt like it was all spectacle.

The movie felt empty to me. I didn't care about the characters. Raju and Bheem are portrayed as folk heroes or legends. Some of the things they went through is this film are not humanly possible. They were either demigods or mutants. That's it.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment