Sunday, December 4, 2022

Amsterdam

Amsterdam (2022)

Written and directed by David O. Russell

Stars: Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, John David Washington, Chris Rock, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zoe Saldaña, Mike Meyers, Michael Shannon, Timothy Olyphant, Rami Malek, and Robert De Niro

I made a promise to myself that I will no longer support David O. Russell after he admitted to sexually assaulting his own niece a decade ago. He is not getting a single penny from me. Ever. I stand by that.

The story revolves around a trio of friends; Dr. Burt Berendsen (Bale), Harold Woodsman (Washington) and Valerie Voze (Robbie) who met each other at tale end of WWI. Jump to 1933 where a young socialite, Liz Meekins (Swift) asks for their help to find out what happened to her father who ends up dead after coming back from Europe.

The originally title of this movie was supposed to be Canterbury Glass. When you watch the film, it makes more sense than the final title. The action does not take place in Amsterdam. That's where the trio met and lived for a time.

Before I lambast this movie, I will say that I enjoyed the costumes for this movie. It looked gorgeous. That's it. The mystery at the center was very convoluted. Not convoluted. It was lazily done. I knew who did it halfway through the movie. Knowing that fact, the movie dragged so long. It took forever for anymore to get their light bulb moment.

The performances for the most part are wooden and lifeless. Some people were trying to elevate the material, but you can only do so much. The acting was The Happening levels of bad. Everyone was going through the motions. I felt bad for them to have to spend any time with this godawful material.

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment