Saturday, December 10, 2022

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (2022)

Directed by Guillermo del Toro & Mark Gustafson 

Story by Guillermo del Toro and Patrick McHale

Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbins

Based on the book by Carlo Collodi

Featuring voices by Gregory Mann, David Bradley, Ewan McGregor, Burn Gorman, Ron Perlman, John Turturro, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, Tim Blake Nelson, Christoph Waltz, and Tilda Swinton

Did you know that there have been four Pinocchio films that have been released in the past five years? I did. I have only seen the original film and this movie. My final verdict is that I think I don't think I like the story of Pinocchio.

Cricket (McGregor) recounts the story of Gepetto (Bradley) who mourns the loss of his "son," Carlo in WWI. Gepetto was devastated by the loss and goes through bottles of booze. One day, he makes a wooden boy named Pinocchio (Mann), a rambunctious being. You know the story.

I understood that del Toro wanted to make his version of the story different from the Disney version or any other version that has been released. Cool. It was nice to see a different storyline with the character. My main problem was the character of Pinocchio. He is very absent-minded and annoying that I wanted him to die. Seriously. The storyline with the fascists was weird.

The only redeeming thing about the movie was the end.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment