Saturday, February 26, 2022

Belfast

Belfast (2021)

Written and directed by Kenneth Branagh

Stars: Jude Hill, Jaime Dornan, Caitríona Balfe, Judi Dench, Ciarán Hinds, Lewis McAskie, and Olive Tennant

I understand that this movie recieved a lot of hype during this awards season. As soon as the first sequence was over, I knew that this movie was not right for me.

Knowledge that this movie is loosely based on Branagh's childhood in Belfast is great and all, but I could connect with it. I have never been an Irish boy growing during a culture war in the late 1960s.

The theme of 2021 is filming your movies in black and white. I am tried of this style of film making. I saw it with this, The Tragedy of Macbeth, and C'mon, C'mon. I was to be flippant and say, "filming in black and white. Groundbreaking," but I won't.

I understand that this movie was deeply personal for Branagh. I get it, but I don't see anything special about it. I don't understand why Dench and Hinds were nominated. It was grave omission not having Balfe nominated instead. It boggles the mind.


Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment