Sunday, February 27, 2022

King Richard


 King Richard (2021)

Directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green

Screenplay by Zach Baylin

Stars: Will Smith, Aunjanue Ellis, Saniyya Sidney, Demi Singleton, Jon Bernthal, Tony Goldwyn, Mikayla LaShae Bartholomew, Daniele Lawson, Layla Crawford and Erika Ringor

When I heard the title, I thought the movie was a Shakespeare play. I was so wrong.

I heard of the William sisters story growing up. None of what happened in this movie was a surprise to me. When you know what happens in a movie, you get bored. Guess what? I got bored. Did I want to see a stage mom movie that is thirty minutes too long? Not really.

I know that Smith is getting a lot of buzz with this movie. It reminds me of the work he did in The Pursuit of Happyness. Compare those two performances. Very similar. I thought Aunjanue Ellis was a powerhouse here.

Did the movie need to be nominated for Best Picture? No. I don't see the merit in it.


Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment