Sunday, February 27, 2022

Dune

 

Dune (2021)

Directed by Denis Villneuve

Screenplay by Denis Villneuve and Jon Spaihts and Eric Roth

Based on the novel by Frank Herbert

Stars: Timothée Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, Rebecca Ferguson, Stellan Skarsgård. Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Chang Chen, Dave Bautista, David Dastmalchian, Charlotte Rampling, Javier Bardem,  Babs Olusanmokun, and Zendaya Coleman 

Full disclosure: I have not read any of the Dune books nor the 1984 movie. Going into this movie completely was not the best course of action. I had no idea what was happening. Is this more lore that I need to know? Who is the emperor? Are these people fighting over spices? Who are these blue eyed people? Why is the baron so big, but can float?

Being unfamiliar with Villneuve's work, I can see that he loves big sci-fi epics as of late. Good for him. 

The portion of the movie that stuck out to me with the relationship between Jessica (Ferguson) and Paul (Chalamet). The visuals of the film are top notch. I walk away with the feeling this story is another white savior story. A vanilla man comes into a culture, be one with it and becomes the new leader. This trope has been done to death. This hinders my enjoyment of the movie.


Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment