Monday, February 21, 2022

Nightmare Alley


 Nightmare Alley (2021)

Directed by Guillermo del Toro

Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro and Kim Morgan

Based on the novel by Lindsay Gresham

Stars: Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Rooney Mara, David Strathairn, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins and Ron Perlman

Oh, boy. How do I start this? I love Guillermo del Toro. His movies from the past five years have been a miss for me. The Shape of Water was another movie of his that I did not like. I was bored to tears with it, because I could not connect with the characters. It's the same with this movie that I am reviewing.

The visuals of the movie are gorgeous. The costumes, the production design, the cinematography are immaculate, but the biggest problem with this movie is the story. You follow this grifter (Cooper) as he falls into the carny life. The thing is I don't care about Cooper's character, Stanton to get me invested in the story. I was bored to tears with this movie. No character was fully fleshed out. They were cupboard cutouts that could talk. I would rather watch the original Nightmare Alley than this.

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment