Saturday, February 26, 2022

Cyrano

 

Cyrano (2021)

Directed by Joe Wright

Screenplay by Erica Schmidt

Based on the play by Edmond Rostand

Stars: Peter Dinklage, Haley Bennett, Kelvin Harrison Jr, Ben Mendelsohn, Monica Dolan, and Bashir Salahuddin

I was hearing awards buzz with this movie, in particular with Peter Dinklage as the titular character. I am upset that this performance was overlooked. It's a crime.

Full disclosure, I am unfamiliar with the story of Cyrano de Bergerac in the fictional sense. I came into this movie with different feelings. No idea that this movie was a musical. That threw me for a loop. It took me out of the movie when the character broke out into song.

There were mentions about Dinklage's singing voice being compared to Pierce Bronsan in Mamma Mia! I wouldn't get that far. Brosnan's was an abomination. Dinklage was serviceable here. It brought a Sondheim cadence. The talk singing.

I thought that Haley Bennett as Roxanne was very good. I loved her singing voice.

I'm surprised the movie's solo Oscar nomination is for the costumes by Massimo Cantini Parrini and Jacqueline Durran. The costumes were very lush, especially Roxanne's and the ones for the sisters.

If this movie is in your area, please see it.


Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment