Sunday, February 20, 2022

West Side Story


 West Side Story (2021)

Directed by Steven Spielberg

Screenplay by Tony Kushner

Based on the original 1961 screenplay by Arthur Laurents

Stars: Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose, David Alvarez, Mike Faist, Josh Andrés Rivera, Brian d'Arcy James, Corey Stoll, and Rita Moreno

It feels so good to be back reviewing films again. I have always had a passion for cinema. No matter how much is waned over the years that flicker was still there.

Recently watching the original 1961 version, I prefer Spielberg's version than the Robbins/Wise one.

Now that is out of the way, this re-imagining tweaked some problems I had with the original movie. The speedy love story between Tony and Maria had more weight to it. The timeline is over two days and a lot happens in those days. The pacing was air tight. Even though the movie is two and half hours long, it doesn't feel like it was long. The orchestrations were lush. The choreography felt more realistic. I was not seeing gangs dance fighting. It would take me out of the experience. The costumes were bright and vibrant.

The two standouts of the movie are Rachel Zegler as Maria and Ariana DeBose as Anita. They are the lifeblood of this movie. I'm surprised that movie flopped at the box office. Maybe it was the Elgort in the room. I don't know. 

 I want everybody to see this movie. It was nominated for seven Academy Awards and it deserves it. 

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment