Saturday, March 5, 2022

Doraibu mai kâ


Drive My Car (2021)

Directed by Ryûsuke Hamaguchi

Screenplay by Ryûsuke Hamaguchi and Takamasa Oe 

Based on the short story, "Men Without Women" by Haruki Murakami 

Stars: Hidetoshi Nishijima, Tôko Miura, Reika Kirishima, Park Yu-rim, Sonia Yuan, Masaki Okada, Satoko Abe, and Jin Dae-yeon 

I was eagerly anticipating this movie's release when the Oscar nominationscame out. I have the praise this movie got. I went into it with high expectations and I was disappointed.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the movie, but I think movie should not have been three hours long. I can sit through a three hour movie-- no problem-- but the movie has to keep my attention. This movie did not keep my attention. The film was a series of long monotonous monologues. By hour two, I could barely keep my eyes open.

The prologue of the movie aka the first forty could have been cut out entirely. The long pauses were cringe-worthy. I did not like a particular character in the movie, Kôshi Takatsuki (Okada). Whenever he was on screen, I wanted to have him gone. 

If the movie focused more on the budding friendship with Kafuku (Nishijima) and his driver Misaki (Miura), I would have been more enjoyable.


Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment