Monday, March 21, 2022

Flugt

Flee (2021)

Directed by Jonas Poher Rasmussen

Written and starring: Jonas Poher Rasmussen and Amin Nawabi

I thought I was done with watching Oscar movies this year, but I had to see this one that has been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, Best Animated Feature (?) and Best Documentary Feature.

This movie tells the story of Amin about his harrowing journey from being smuggled out of Afghanistan during the rise of Taliban during the late 80s.

I understood why Rasmussen chose to make the film animated because Amin wanted to protect his identity and those of his family that are placed in different parts of Europe. I get that. I don't know the criteria for Animated Feature, but there are parts of the documentary that are not animated.

The structure of the film is mix between recorded conversations and reenactment of events. I love this movie, but I had a couple gripes with it. I wish I learned more about how Rasmussan meet Amin. Where did they meet? How did he know about Amin's story? I felt that the movie was blase with what happened to Amin's family. The movie was also blase with Amin and his relationship with his partner, Kasper.


Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment