Thursday, March 17, 2022

Terrible Movie Thursday - A Million Little Pieces

A Million Little Pieces (2019)

Directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson

Screenplay by Sam Taylor-Johnson and Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Based on the "memoir" by James Frey

Stars: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Billy Bob Thorton, Giovanni Ribsi, Odessa Young, Juliette Lewis, Dash Mihok, Ryan Hurst and Charlie Hunnam

The title of this movie sounded very familiar to me. I could not for the life of me remember where or when. Then, I remembered that this "memoir"-- I am using memoir in quotes for a good reason-- was figured on The Oprah Winfrey Show around 2003. Three years later, it was revealed that the situations in the "memoir" were exaggerated or completely fabricated.

I thought that it was weird why make a movie out of this. Whatever. Here we are. This fictionalized events center around 1993(?) when 23(?)-year-old James (ATJ) as he hits rock bottom with his addiction to drugs, alcohol, and pills. The whole movie is about his choppy road to recovery.

I am unfamiliar with the filmography of STJ. This is not the best introduction to her oeuvre. I understand that she wanted to go for the depths of addiction and show its ugly side. Fine. Sometimes, the movies fell into melodrama with James' tantrums, his relationship/friendship/kinship with Lilly (Young) and the relationship with his brother, Bob (Hunnam). 

 The visuals were not impressive to me. I had a real issue with Ribsi's character, John as this fey man that wants to jump on James' bone. Perpetuate those stereotypes that all gay adjacent men want to fuck all straight men and we are trying to convert everyone. Forever eye roll.

The only reason I watched this movie was to see ATJ naked. Go to Mr. Man to save you all the trouble of watching his. That's all.


Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment