Monday, April 25, 2022

The Batman

The Batman (2022)

Directed by Matt Reeves

Screenplay by Matt Reeves & Peter Craig

Based the character, "Batman" created by Bill Flinger and Bob Kane

Stars: Robert Pattinson, Zoë Kravitz, Jeffrey Wright, Colin Farrell, Paul Dano, John Turturro, Peter Sarsgaard, and Andy Serkis

Full confession: I have not watched a superhero film is over three years. I was going through superhero fatigue. I needed that break. After the bad taste that The Dark Knight Rises did for me, I was not looking forward to another Batman movie. I didn't care to see the Batfleck ones. Could not be bothered. This movie has raised the bar for superhero movies in general.

Everyone and their grandma knows the origin of Batman (Pattinson). This story reminds me of the 2016 Telltale video game that I played and beaten. The movie follows that story line and the famous story The Long Halloween.

There is a serial killer on the loose The Riddler (Dano), but not The Riddler you know. This Riddler places the entire city of Gotham in constant fear when very important figures are picked off one by one. The Batman teams with Lt. James Gordon (Wright) and Selina Kyle (Kravitz) to track down The Riddler to bring him to justice.

I had my doubts when it was announced that Robert Pattinson was going to step into the role of Batman. Many actors played Batman well, but not Bruce Wayne like Kilmer or Keaton. Many played Bruce Wayne well, but not Batman like Clooney. Pattinson belongs to the former for me. His Batman is like the Year One Batman; raw, brutal and uncompromising.

Zoë Kravitz and Paul Dano were the standouts of the movie for me. The score, the action, the lighting, the narrative harmonized well together to make a cohesive movie.


Rating: 10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment