Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

Directed by Howard Hawks

Screenplay by Charles Lederer 

Based on the stage musical comedy by Joseph Fields and Anita Loos

Stars: Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Elliott Reid, Charles Coburn, Norma Varden, Tommy Noonan, and George Winslow

Everybody knows about the famous "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" sequence in this movie. I saw a clip where Monroe and Russell walk into the room and everything stops. I want that power.

Two showgirls; the boy crazy, Dorothy (Russell) and the diamond obsessed, Lorelei (Monroe) are going on a transatlantic cruise from America to France. Lorelei is engaged to Gus (Noonan), a man that is not the most debonair man, but he can provide the bright shinnies for Lorelei. Gus' father hires a private investigator, Ernie Malone (Reid) to spy on Lorelei to see if she is remaining to true to Gus. Ernie falls head over heels in love with Dorothy.

For a movie that came out almost seventy years ago, I was pleasantly surprised that I laughed with this movie. I enjoyed the interaction with the characters for the most part. I was humming along with the musical numbers.

I had two big problems with this movie. One of them was Malone. I did not get the sense that he was a good love interest to Dorothy. It felt like he was there to a be love interest. He was not charismatic or endearing to make me believe that he character is worthy of Dorothy's affection. The other reason is the courtroom scene. That's all I will say without spoiling it.


Rating: 8.5/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment