Saturday, May 28, 2022

Top Gun

Top Gun (1986)

Directed by Tony Scott

Screenplay by Jim Cash & Jack Epps Jr & Warren Skaaren 

Based on the article, "Top Guns" by Ehud Yonay 

Stars: Tom Cruise, Kelly McGillis, Anthony Edwards, Val Kilmer, Tom Skerritt, Michael Ironside, Tim Robbins and Meg Ryan 

With the sequel coming out in theaters, I knew that I had to see the movie that started it all. This movie is two hour dick measuring contest.

Set in the world of fighter pilots, the story is centered around Maverick (Cruise), a cocky reckless pilot that tries to go aginst the rules to be the best pilot that he could be. You have the sausage fest around with Goose (Edwards), Iceman (Kilmer), Merlin (Robbins) and others at Top Gun, an elite flight school for the top 1% of pilots. There is the token love interest of the story, Charlie (McGinnis) that has to fall for the main guy for some reason.

In my personal opinion, I do not like the archetype of Maverick, a young brash guy that is stubborn, acts like a petulant child when things don go his way. I'm not saying that Maverick is the villain of the movie. I was not rooting for him as a character. This hyper-masculine man that gets the girl, does away with authority and gets away with his antics.

Iceman was portrayed as the "villain" of the movie. I don't think he is. He saw what I saw. Maverick was on the verge of self-destruction if he doesn't get his act together. He was the voice of reason.

Hearing "Take My Breath Away" and "Danger Zone" takes you back to the 80s. I love that aspect of it. I did not get the suddenness of the romance between Maverick and Charlie. Who were the pilots fighting? The Russians? I don't know.

It's a guy movie. Cool. It's not my thing.


Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment