Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Metropolis

Metropolis (1927)

Directed by Fritz Lang

Screenplay by Thea von Harbou & Fritz Lang

Based on the novel by Thea von Harbou

Stars: Gustav Fröhlich, Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel, Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Fritz Rasp, Theodor Loos, Erwin Biswanger, and Heinrich George

This movie has been referenced in pop culture for the longest time. It is the first time I saw this movie. I enjoyed it, but the third act kind of falls apart.

There are two different societies withing this city. There is the upper crust that is being controlled by Joh (Abel) and the Depths were working classes are worked to exhaustion to help with the facade of this city to function. Freder (Fröhlich) is the person that bridges the divide between them with the help of Maria (Helm).

I was taken aback with the visuals of this movie. I was stunned what could have been done almost a century ago. The production design was very impressive. I loved the score. I believe the score is the 2000 version by  Kevin Saunders Hayes. I love it. Sometimes the score would be telegraphed, specifically in the third act.

I was into the movie for the 2/3rds of it. It's the third act that made me take pause. The climax of  the movie didn't make that make sense to me. If this character would have done this, then the conclusion on screen should not happen.


Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment