Sunday, May 29, 2022

Die unendliche Geschichte

 The NeverEnding Story (1984)

Directed by Wolfgang Petersen

Screenplay by Wolfgang Petersen & Herman Weigel 

Based on the novel by Michael Ende 

Stars: Barret Oliver, Noah Hathaway, Thomas Hill, Deep Roy, Tilo Prückner, Moses Gunn, Sydney Bromley, Patricia Hayes, Alan Oppenheimer, and Tami Stronach

I cannot tell you how it has been since I have seen this movie. At least 25 years. This was a part of my childhood growing up. This is not the happiest movie ever. This movie is depressing, but it has heart to it.

There is a bookworm named Bastien (Oliver) who is not well liked in his school or at home. The only place that he could escape to is in the world of books. One day, he goes into a bookshop and picks up "The NeverEnding Story." Bastien reads the story about the people of Fantasia like Atreyu, Falkor and The Nothing.

Seeing the movie this time around I thought that the Child Empress and G'mork had bigger parts in the movie. The movie is bleak in its outlook. Some of the characters gave into sadness, despair and the inevitability of death. These are heavy topics for the children's movie.

I love this journey the movie took me on. I would go back to this wondrous world again.


Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment