Monday, October 31, 2022

Pearl

Pearl (2022)

Written and directed by Ti West

Stars: Mia Goth, Tandi Wright, Matthew Sunderland, David Corenswet, Emma Jenkins-Purro, Amelia Reid, and Alistair Sewell

When I heard that there was going to be a prequel to X following the origin of the killer from that movie, I didn't want to bother with it. I heard people praising Mia Goth's performance in the movie. Biting the bullet, I decided to check it out. I have misjudged it.

The action takes place on the same Texas farm as it was in the previous movie. The time is 1918 and Pearl (Goth) has to take care of her ailing father (Sunderland). Her domineering German mother, Ruth (Wright) wants her to stay on farm in their bubble so no one could catch the The Great Influenza that was sweeping the nation that time. Pearl wants to be a big star, but there are some obstacles in her way.

I did not know what to think with the movie in the beginning. Was this going to be a musical? It's not. It is more of Pearl's imagination getting the best of her. When the switch flips on Pearl's sanity, that is when the movie hit its stride. Seeing the way Ruth dictated her whole life made me feel bad for Pearl. She wanted to follow her dream.

Mia Goth acted her ass off in this movie. Let me tell you. She delivers a seven minute monologue that it heartbreaking. She was pouring all the emotion out of herself in that monologue. It is a sight to behold.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment