Monday, October 17, 2022

Weekly Review Wrapup

This past week I wanted to watch the Best Picture Nominees that I missed. To this point, I have watched 35 of 55 that I set out to see. I am trying to get through the last movies before Oscar season ramps up. Here the ones that I watched: 

Hacksaw Ridge: I did not want to have a movie spew Bible quotes at me. Be racist to Japanese people. Have disgusting gore effects. Have Doss be a creepy guy. I hated it. 2/10

The Big Short: Having a movie break the fourth wall, telling the audience about housing facts that we don't give a fuck about.  I didn't care. 4/10

Mank: Why do we need to see a movie about an alcoholic screenwriter? The movie was fine. Not memorable. 5/10

Bohemian Rhapsody: I have never hated a movie so much as I did with this movie. It was an affront to Freddie Mercury and his memory. Rami Malek won an Oscar for this? Really? It was just Malek wearing a flipper. Unacceptable. 1/10

1917: This movie was a masterpiece. It was carefully thought out. The way it was shot like a documentary. The long continuous takes. The mood, the music, atmosphere were spot on. I loved this movie. 10/10

Parasite: The only thing I knew about this movie was that it was a black comedy about a family infiltrating an affluent family. It's so much for than that. It's about the class system, economic disparity and so on. The tone was pitch perfect. 10/10

Lion: This kind of movie is one that I don't like. A Oscar baity movie about found family and convenient plot devices. Maybe, it's Dev Patel. I feel like I don't like his movies in general. 2/10

The Martian: Have you noticed a lot of astronaut movies between 2013 to now? Hmm. The movie was about survival on an alien planet. Matt Damon was very good. I enjoyed this very much. 8/10

American Sniper: The movie would have been more effective as a documentary rather than a feature length movie. It felt icky to me. The brave American soldiers against the "savages" (they were called that in the movie). I felt the disconnect. 4/10

Ford v Ferrari: I could not be more uninterested in a movie. This felt like a guy movie. Let's have 2.5 hour movie talking about cars. Yay. I think this is the movie that made me realize that I cannot take Christian Bale seriously as an actor anymore. It was boring. 5/10

Phantom Thread: I knew why this movie was nominated. It was DDL's last movie so let's give it these nominations. Is it a beautiful movie? Yes. The clothes were spectacular. The other parts of movie was meh. 3/10

War Horse: This was so long and torturous. I lost interest in it. It was background noise. It's one of these inspirational movies that caters to certain demographic, not me. 4/10


As I am writing this, I think I will only review movies from the current year, and have these recaps for older movies. Having to write full length reviews is demanding. I want to focus on the current year from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment