Monday, October 24, 2022

Review Rewind

I am cranking out these viewings of Best Picture nominees that I missed out. I believe I have 7 more to go. I want to talk about Tár, Triangle of Sadness, and The Banshees of Inisherin when they open wide on Friday. This blog-a-thon was more laborious than I thought. Here we go:

Nomadland: The 2020 Best Picture winner. The movie had some interesting concepts that should have been explored more. We get this woman driving. That's it. 7/10

The Post: This movie was dry. Sahara Desert dry. I didn't care about what was happening. The government covered up what happened in Vietnam. Cool. It wasn't compelling. Did anyone notice a big blur circle in the scene with Jesse Plemons and Bob Odenkirk? 5/10

Vice: I thought it was interesting take on Dick Cheney's life. I think Adam McKay's way of storytelling is not my vibe. People talking into the camera for no reason at all. 6/10

The Revenant: The world AGI created looked miserable, but some factual errors with the time and situations made me enjoy the movie less. The movie was too long. Cut a couple necessary characters. It would have been 5 stars. 8/10

Room: Going in, I know this movie going to be depressing. It was, but the movie has heart. It showed that a mother would do anything for her kid and vice versa. Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay and Joan Allen were fantastic in the film. 9/10

Darkest Hour: The movie was literally dark with some nonsense light pouring in from windows. Gary Oldman was good. Some of the events in the movie made question why the screenwriters did that. 7/10

Green Book: The 2018 Best Picture winner. The ham-fisted message of a black man and white man facing prejudice was abundantly clear. I was wondering, why Dr. Shirley was that naive about Jim Crow or segregation? 6/10

Selma: I wanted to be inspired. I wanted to be moved. The feeling when you hear "Glory" at the end credits. I didn't feel it in this movie. 5/10

Minari: There was a disconnection with this movie. I was never a Korean boy in the 1980s. Some of the plot points in the movie, I saw a mile away. Really, movie? 4/10

Hell or High Water: The movie was not breaking new ground. I knew what was going to happen at the end, but some of the action set pieces carried the movie. 7/10

Brooklyn: I thought the main character's name was Brooklyn. Did I want to see a movie about a young woman moping around for two hours? No. 5/10

Hugo: Can somebody tell why a movie taking place in France have all the character in British accents? 4/10

The Descendants: Why are all the characters assholes? Seriously. There was some cringe dialogue in here. Like early 2000s problematic levels. I felt like the mother in the coma. This movie was not good. 3/10

The Theory of Everything: I thought it was a beautiful film. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones gave solid performance. Michael Keaton should have won the Oscar instead. 8/10

Boyhood: The making of the movie was phenomenal. The biggest failure of the movie is Mason. The boy was supposed to be following. Who is he? You see fifteen minute increments of a year Frankenstein-ed together. There was so cohesive arc for him. The parents, yes. Not Mason. 6/10

The Irishman: This movie was bloated. It did not need to be 3.5 hours long. The chyrons are when characters in the movie get whacked was strange. The de-aging of character was jarring. Pacino and Pesci carried the movie. The first half of the movie was great. It drops like a body with cinder blocks on it in the second half. 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment