Saturday, October 29, 2022

Resurrection

Resurrection (2022)

Written and directed by Andrew Semans

Stars: Rebecca Hall, Tim Roth, Grace Kaufman, Michael Esper, Angela Wong Carbone, Josh Drennen, and Winsome Brown

When my cousin gifted me a pass to attend Sundance virtually this year, I missed my chance to watch this movie. Rebecca Hall will always deliver a stellar performance. She has, but I'm getting the sense of déjà vu.

Margaret (Hall) is businesswoman that seems to have a perfectly normal life. One day, she sees David (Roth), a shady man from her past that triggers deeply buried within her. Margaret notices David appear in other places that she is in. She wants to do everything in her power to protect her daughter, Abbie (Kaufman) and herself.

In the early parts of this movie, I kept wondering if this was the same plot as The Night House or Men. A woman dealing with psychological trauma from the past that has manifested itself in weird ways to haunt them in the present. It does somewhat.

The movie is dealing with Margaret's decent into madness in a way that I knew what the movie was going to end up in. Other the other hand, the ending of the movie forces the audience to re-evaluate what they have watched. The ending was effective. I gave me a lot to think about.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment