Sunday, October 30, 2022

Rosaline

Rosaline (2022)

Directed by Karen Maine

Screenplay by Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber

Based on the novel, "When You Were Mine" by Rebecca Serle

Based on the characters by William Shakespeare

Stars: Kaitlyn Dever, Isabela Merced, Sean Teale, Kyle Allen, Spencer Stevenson, Bradley Whitford, Christopher McDonald, Minnie Driver, and Alistair Toovey

I will never learn. I need to stop watching the trailer of films, because it would be a hundred times better than the actual film. Knowing me, I would say that the same thing about another film that will ultimately disappoint me.

Hey. Remember that girl that was mentioned a couple of times in Romeo & Juliet? Well, somebody felt like that they should have a whole story about her. Rosaline (Dever) is dating Romeo (Allen) until fate steps in to push the "star-crossed lovers" together. Wackiness ensues.

Where do I begin? The moment I knew this movie was going to be garbage in when "This Will Be" was playing in the opening credits of the movie. Was this going to be the structure of Moulin Rouge! or Ophelia? It was the latter. Was this taken from a YA novel? Yes. My expectations sunk to an all-time low.

The movie was strange. It has the iambic pentameter of Shakespeare's word mixed in with modern language. It did not have the fun or charm to hold anyone's attention. There was a sassy gay friend and the "stoner" messenger. Okay.

Why Bradley Whitford in this movie? Why was Minnie Driver in this movie? Driver was doing the Lord's work. She was the only reason I stayed to watch this dreck.

Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment