Friday, November 25, 2022

Emily the Criminal

Emily the Criminal (2022)

Written and directed by John Patton Ford

Stars: Aubrey Plaza, Theo Rossi, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Gina Gershon, Jonathan Avigdori, Bernardo Badillo, John Billingsley, and Brandon Sklenar

Here is another recommendation from the Spirit Award nominations earlier this week.  It was nominated for Best First Feature, Screenplay, Best Leading and Supporting Performance. After watching the movie, I would say that they are warranted.

Emily (Plaza) works as a contract worker because of her criminal record from years prior. Drowning in student loan debt, she needed to find a way to make money. A co-worker introduces her to Youcef (Rossi). He and his cousin, Khalil (Avigdori) run a stolen credit card operation. Emily gets in too deep as pay the consequences.

This movie spoke to me. I was in the same boat as Emily. Mountains of credit card and student loan debt. Trying to find a direct-to-hire jobs, instead of temp work. I get it. It is hard when you feel that you do not have many options.

Plaza was very good as the titular character. You feel her pain. It was all in her face and in her performance. Theo Rossi as Youcef was equally solid in his perfromance. These people are not good people. They are doing what they can to survive in a world that is against them.

I don't know much of about this world. I don't know if this is accurate. I have dealt with my credit card number being stolen for somebody to buy lots of pizza in another state. Craziness. I was in for a ride with this movie.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment