Saturday, November 26, 2022

The Fabelmans

The Fabelmans (2022)

Directed by Steven Spielberg

Screenplay by Steven Spielberg & Tony Kushner

Stars: Gabriel LaBelle, Paul Dano, Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Judd Hirsch, Mateo Zoryan, Keeley Karsten, Alina Brace, Julia Butters, and Birdie Borria

Movie pundits were saying that this movie is on track on winning Best Picture at the Academy Awards next year. I understand that this movie was very personal for Spielberg. The movie is not the best movie of the year.

The movie follows Sammy Fabelman (LaBelle), a young boy that wants to make movies ever since he saw Around the World in 80 Days with his parents, Burt and Mitzi (Dano, Williams). His mother encouraged his passion for movies. His father wants him to be realistic about his job prospects. Sammy's passion for the movie grows, even though his life is less than ideal.

Can I say that the first half of the movie where Sammy wanted to make movies was the best part of the movie? The home movies that hinted at Spielberg's movies like ET, Saving Private Ryan and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Great. Love that for him.

The second half of the movie was where the movie fell apart for me. It became a movie that descended into chaos with the family yelling, the antisemitic bullying, and a weird subplot with Sammy's girlfriend. It did not keep my attention.

I'm sure the movie is going to get at least eight nominations. Dano was adequate. Williams was doing the most. I didn't know what she was doing in the movie. 

I thought the best parts of the movie where Judd Hirsch as Mitzi's uncle that had three scenes. He did better most of the actors in the movie. There is a cameo in the end of the movie that floored me when I learned who they were.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment