Sunday, November 13, 2022

Review Rewind

Last week has been been an interesting week of movie viewing. Here are the movies that I watched this past week.

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?: Holy shit. This movie is bonkers. Seeing two real-life adversaries in the same movie is something to behold. Bette Davis was acting her ass off in this. Joan Crawford did not get what the tone of the movie was supposed to be. 8/10

Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte: I might have been expecting this movie was going to be campy like WEHTBJ. No, this was a real movie. I didn't appreciate what was happening when I was watching it. It's a suspenseful thriller that deserves a second viewing. 6/10* (Rating my change upon re-watch.)

It: (Re-watch). I have not seen the movie since it was in theaters. I was intending to watch it during Halloween, but didn't. Seeing the movie at home made the movie less scary to me. The dynamic between the kids saved the movie from dropping my score lower. 7/10

It Chapter Two: Seeing the run time of the movie, I knew that it was going to be a slog. They were introducing the older versions of the characters from the first movie for the first 30 minutes and I had it. Montage that shit. I stopped watching it. DNF

Mommie Dearest: For years, I heard that this movie was horrible. It's not good. Faye Dunaway shot for the moon with her portrayal of Joan Crawford. The structure of the story felt like snapshots of what may or may not have happened to Christina, and her life with Joan as her adoptive mother. 4/10

Falling for Christmas: A Lindsay Lohan Christmas movie. Yes. I watched the movie and was immediately bothered by annoying characters, a recycled amnesia plot, lack of chemistry between Lohan and Chord Overstreet. This movie came out this year, but I didn't want to review it. Why bother? 5/10

Black Panther: (Re-watch). I wanted to revist this movie before I saw the sequel. It was still as good as I remembered it from my theater viewing. Great acting, action sequences and a fantastic villain. It earned that Best Picture nomination. 9/10

Nightcrawler: There was a lot Oscar buzz with Jake Gyllenhaal's performance in this movie and he didn't get the nom. It was shocking. This role is against type for him. An insomniac trying to get the big story in violent crime scenes around LA for money. He descends into a dark place that is fucked up. 8/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment