Sunday, November 20, 2022

Weekly Rewind

This week has been emotionally draining. I think with the holidays coming up, the melancholy sets in. Usually when this happens, I would watch romantic comedies. Be prepared.

The Great Dictator: I have been meaning to see this movie. One of the very few talkies that Charles Chaplin had done. It was a searing look at the rise of Nazism, Hitler and the Third Reich. He was making fun of the ridiculous of following a megalomaniac. Chaplin's speech at the end was one of the greatest in cinematic history. There were parts of the movie where the joke was stretched too thin. 8/10

Barbarian (Re-watch): I have been getting in the habit of re-watching movies that I previously hated and see if my opinion changed. Seeing this on a re-watch, the tension of the first part of the movie was gone, because I knew what would happen. The movie is not scary. More disturbing. The shifting tones is still jarring to me. Previous rating: 1/10. Now: 5/10

Kate & Leopold (Re-watch): It has been a decade since I saw this movie. Every time, there are new questions. Hugh Jackman was so fucking charming in this movie. He wasn't playing Leopold as a misogynist nor a bigot. Cool. The last twenty minutes are still bonkers. 7/10

Enchanted (Re-watch): To prepare the possible mediocrity of Disney making unnecessary sequels or series of their properties, I had to revisit this. The charm is still there. Amy Adams as Giselle was so good. The downsides of the movie are Susan Sarandon and the climax of the movie. 8/10

Christmas in Connecticut: This movie was on TCM this week. I heard that people loved it. This movie is a comedy of errors than a Christmas movie. Barbara Stanwyck was delightful as ever. It was nice. It's a nice movie to watch without a convoluted plot getting in the way. 7/10

Disenchanted: Yeah. This movie pissed me off so much that I turned it off. How much time has past was in question? Was it ten years or fifteen? I hated Morgan in this movie. Just another obnoxious teenager trope that got old quick. Some characters traits from the first movie are completely forgotten in this movie. DNF

Bridget Jones's Diary (Re-watch): I was in my fool moods and I wanted some rom-com fluff. This is always there. Zellweger is great. Her gaggle of friends are hilarious. Grant as a cad was perfect. Firth as the love interest is the best. He is so charming. Where is my Mark Darcy? 8/10

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Re-watch): I thought that I did not see this sequel. When I was watching it, I remembered bits of this. I caught this on cable over fifteen years ago. Oops. My mind. The charm that was in the first one is not present in this one. There is a whole subplot about Bridget in jail that went off the rails for me. 6/10

Bridget Jones's Baby: This is the only film in the series that I did not watch. Oh, dear. This movie is a trainwreck. Bridget finds out that she is pregnant. She doesn't know who the father is. Is it here on again/off again lover, Mark Darcy or is it the American billionaire mogul, Jack (Insert last name here)? Patrick Dempsey as Jack was odd, bordering on creepy stalker. The movie was more physical comedy that didn't work. I heard, there might a fourth movie in the works. Oh, no. 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment