Monday, August 8, 2022

An American in Paris

An American in Paris (1951)

Directed by Vincente Minnelli

Screenplay by Alan Jay Lerner

Stars: Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant, Georges Guétary, and Nina Foch

This would have been the last movie in my planned Gene Kelly watch trilogy. Well, life happens. I learned the movie won six Oscars. I was expected to be blown away. It's a good movie, but I have some problems with it.

The synopsis of the movie was saying that a struggling artist, Jerry Mulligan (Kelly) and well known singer, Henri Baurel (Guétary) are in love with the same woman, Lise Bouvier (Caron). Technically, that's true. Henri is barely in the movie. I thought that he would have a bigger role.

I was thinking that it was going to be more of a love triangle. It mainly focused on romance between Jerry and Lise. The thing is I did not believe that the romance. It seems that Jerry was more in love with Lise. I understand that this was the big screen debut for Leslie Caron, but she was the weakest part of the movie. She is a fantastic dancer, but her acting was not up to par.

I don't want to trash on the movie. The dancing sequences were very good, especially the ballet on the end of the movie. It was magnificent. George Gershwin's songs were instantly recognizable. 

Rating: 8/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment