Sunday, August 14, 2022

Us

Us (2019)

Written and directed by Jordan Peele

Stars: Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke, Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex, Elisabeth Moss, Tim Heidecker, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Anna Diop and Madison Curry

There have been mixed reactions to this movie ever since it came out. I wanted to see all of Jordan Peele's movies. Since I loved his debut, I thought I was like his follow-up. Yeah, no.

Adelaide Wilson (Nyong'o) is taking a vacation to their rental property in coastal California with her husband, Gabe (Duke) and kids; Zora (Joseph) and Jason (Alex). She is haunted by a traumatic event that happened to her when she was little. The trauma manifests itself as doppelgängers of her and her family begin to terrorize them.

 I did not have the highest of expectations when I watched this movie. It seemed that this movie did not set the right tone. There was no tension, no suspense. The Tethered looked creepy, but their mannerisms and way of talking made me laugh. I questioned their motives.

Reading into the movie, Peele wanted to deal with American privilege. Okay. Fine. I did not see that. If the movie was about a famous person or an affluent family than I would have gotten the theme more. It felt like a bunch of ideas that did not meld together well.

I will say that Lupita Nyong'o gave a performance in this movie. I was surprised that it didn't get enough awards attention. She went through it. The soundtrack was also great as well.

Lastly, fuck that ending. That was a head scratcher.

Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment