Friday, August 12, 2022

How Green Was My Valley

How Green Was My Valley (1941)

Directed by John Ford

Screenplay by Philip Dunne

Based on the novel by Richard Llewellyn

Stars: Roddy McDowell, Donald Crisp, Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, Sara Allgood, Anna Lee, John Loder, Patric Knowles, Richard Fraser, Evan S. Evans and James Monks

As I usually do, I was scrolling through Twitter and saw that people were ranking this movie as one of the best Best Picture winners of all time. This movie has the reputation of beating Citizen Kane for the grand prize. I don't get the hype.

The movie takes place in a Welsh coal mining town where the action follows the Morgan family. Gwilym (Crisp) works in the mines with five of his sons. He wants to provide a good life for the youngest son, Huw (McDowell).

Let me get this out of the way. I don't like overly dramatic movies. The movie is dripping with sentimentality. I immediately shut down. The swelling, orchestral music. A tragedy befallen someone. Unrequited love. It doesn't do anything for me. It has to be natural.

The movie doesn't feel authentic. It was not filmed in Wales. Not a single Welsh actor was in the cast. It took me out of the experience.

During this time, a lot of movies with heavy religious messages were the norm. Any movie that tries to preach to you is a big strike for me.

Why do people love this movie? I don't get it. It was melodrama to the nth degree. I cannot stand movies that emotionally manipulate you.

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment