Thursday, August 25, 2022

Witness for the Prosecution

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

Directed by Billy Wilder

Screenplay by Billy Wilder and Harry Kurnitz

Adaptation by Lawrence B. Marcus

Based on the play by Agatha Christie

Stars: Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Elsa Lanchester, John Williams, Ian Wolfe, Torin Thatcher, Norma Varden, Una O'Connor, Francis Compton, and Ruta Lee

Scrolling through the selections on Amazon Prime, I happen to find this movie. I wanted to see more Billy Wilder or Marlene Dietrich movies. This is solid courtroom drama to see.

Leonard Vole (Power) is standing trial. He is accused of the murder of Mrs. Emily Jane French (Varden). Noted barrister, Sir Wilfrid Robarts (Laughton) is tasked to represent him, even though his care nurse, Miss Plimsoll (Lanchester) watches him like a hawk, because of his recent heart attack. Over the course of the trial, details of that faithful come to the light.

I have to say that the banter between Wilfird and Plimsoll was very good. I didn't know that the movie was nominated for six Oscars. Laughton was very good with his portrayal of Wilfird. I cannot say that same with Lanchester. I'm not saying that she was bad, but I thought she was fine. Oscar worthy? Not really.

Usually when there is a mystery, I would usually figure it out an hour before the movie ends. This last fifteen minutes of the movie was the most riveting piece of cinema I have ever seen. I thought that I was so smart and figured everything out. Nope.

After the ending credits, I have more questions about the behaviors of certain people.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment