Friday, August 12, 2022

Best Picture Nominee Catch Up Movie: Nebraska

Nebraska (2013)

Directed by Alexander Payne

Screenplay by Bob Nelson

Stars: Bruce Dern, Will Forte, June Squibb, Bob Odenkirk, Stacy Keach, Mary Louise Wilson, Rance Howard, Tim Driscoll, Devin Ratray, and Angela McEwan

As I am slowly but surely going through this long blog-a-thon, I wanted to all the nominees on Amazon Prime before my membership expires. This was the last one available at this current time. I was not expecting to love it like I did.

Woody Grant (Dern) believes that he won a million prize and has to go to Lincoln, Nebraska to claim said prize. His family thinks that it is a scam, but Woody would hear none of that. His youngest son, David (Forte) agrees to drive him from their home in Billings, Montana to Lincoln.

The premise of the movie has been done before with an elderly father going on a road trip for some odd reason. I didn't know that the movie was a comedy until I laughing at the line delivery that Bruce Dern or June Squibb when they call out people's stupidity.

There is a hesitation when a modern movie is in black and white. It can be an artistic choice. Sometimes I could feel inauthentic. Alexander Payne wanted to harken to family road trip movies from the 60s and 70s. I understood why he did this. Bravo.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment