Saturday, August 13, 2022

Mrs. Winterbourne

Mrs. Winterbourne (1996)

Directed by Richard Benjamin

Screenplay by Phoef Sutton and Lisa-Maria Radano

Based on the novel, " by Cornell Woolrich 

Stars: Ricki Lake, Brendan Fraser, Shirley MacLaine,  Miguel Sandoval, Loren Dean, Peter Gerety, and Susan Haskell

One of my favorite YouTube channels recommended this movie. I tried watching this movie a year ago, and only watched thirty minutes or so. Watching the whole, this is an experience.

A down on her luck young woman, Connie (Lake) is pregnant and has been kicked out by her loser boyfriend, Steve (Dean). Connie stows away on a train bound to Boston from NYC. She befriends Hugh (Fraser) and his wife, Patricia (Haskell). The train derails, Connie goes into a coma and people are thinking that she is Patricia Winterbourne. She has to keep the lie going to Winterbourne family.

Maybe it's my memory, but I did not remember the parts of the movie that I saw. Looking at the movie now, it was wild ride. I didn't like Steve at all. His motives, his character, everything. He was not written well. I love Ricki Lake, but an actress she is not. The cold line reading. Oof.

The lifeblood of the film are MacLaine and Fraser. The endless charisma and presence that they possess could elevate the most awful schlock into something watchable.

I thought this movie would be a middle of the road romantic comedy. It took a turn into being a black comedy. Not expecting it.

The movie is not that good, but it's one of those movies that is so bad that you kinda love it. I have that feeling when I finished the movie.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment