Sunday, July 10, 2022

Army of Darkness

Army of Darkness (1992)

Directed by Sam Raimi

Screenplay by Sam Raimi and Ivan Raimi

Stars: Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Marcus Gilbert, Michael Earl Reid, Ian Abercrombie, and Richard Grove

I wanted to complete the Evil Dead trilogy with the last big screen entry. The series went of the rails wacky with this one to varying degrees of success.

After the events of Evil Dead II, Ash Williams (Campbell) is sucked into a portal to transports him back to an unknown land around 1300 A.D. Noticing this stranger person that fell from the sky, Lord Arthur (Gilbert) captures Ash to supposedly to usurp his leadership with Duke Henry the Red (Grove). Ash has to find a way to get back to the present.

I know the prerequisite to these movies is to turn off your brain. I tried to do it, but some things didn't make sense. How many rounds does a rifle have? My biggest question: where was Ash getting his shotgun shells from? I'm serious. Ash has the sawed off shotgun. Did he takes a big carton of them through that portal?

It seems that the central lore of Evil Dead has been completely lost. The first movie was about demons. The second movie was about demonic zombies? This movie is about revenants and skeletons. I don't know what is happening.

Did I laugh at the comedic beats of the movie? Yes. Did I think that the romance between Ash and Sheila (Davidtz) was out of left field? Yes. Were there many lapses in plot? Plenty. I forgave some of it. Not all.

I want to leave with a couple of last thoughts. The shaky cam action sequences were nauseating. The endless zoom in shots. Stop it. I hated it.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment