Saturday, July 2, 2022

45 Years

45 Years (2015)

Directed by Andrew Haigh

Screenplay by Andrew Haigh

Based on the short story, "In Another Country" by David Constantine

Stars: Charlotte Rampling, Tom Courtenay, Geraldine James, Dolly Wells, and David Sibley

I heard news that Andrew Haigh was making a new movie with Andrew Scott and Jaime Bell. I loved his first film, Weekend, and his short lived HBO series, Looking. I didn't know that this movie was directed by him. I love Charlotte Rampling, but the movie...

The audience is looking at a week in the lives of Geoffrey and Kate (Courtenay, Rampling) who are making preparations to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary. Everything seems to be fine. When a letter come in the mail, secrets are exposed and skeletons come tumbling out of the closet.

Andrew Haigh is known for this subtle nuances to his works. Cool. Here, I expected a lot than what was given on the screen. There were times when I was checking to see how much of the movie was left. I was bored. It felt one note. What something going to happen? I was running through scenarios in my mind that were more engaging than this.

There were three scenes that I loved in the movie. They all involved Rampling. Did she deserve her Best Actress nomination? Absolutely. She carried this movie. She was the only reason that I stayed until the end. Thank Goddess for Charlotte Rampling.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment