Sunday, July 10, 2022

Evil Dead II

Evil Dead II (1987)

Directed by Sam Raimi

Screenplay by Sam Raimi & Scott Spiegel

Stars: Bruce Campbell, Sarah Berry, Dan Hicks, Kassie Wesley DePaiva, Richard Domeier, Denise Bixler, John Peakes, Lou Hancock, and Ted Raimi

Since I saw the first movie, I wanted to continue with the misadventures of Ash and his endless battle with supernatural forces. This movie took a couple left turn to varying degrees of success.

After the tragic events of The Evil Dead, Ash (Campbell) is struggling to find a way to escape the cabin and the cursed woods. The demonic entities prevent him from escaping. The professor's daughter that recorded the ritual that awakens the demons, Anne (Berry) comes with three other people with the missing pages of The Necronomicon to find her parents. They found Ash and the demons find new victims.

Looking at the beginning of the film, I was confused with the continuity error. Turns out that Raimi didn't have the rights to the first movie and had to reshoot the "recap". I can forgive that. They were also recons of that movie that were not addressed. His buddy and his girlfriend and also, Ash's sister. No mention of them? No? Okay.

The movie went for more comedy horror route. Did I laugh with the movie? No. Did I laugh at the movie? Yes. Some sequences were baffling. Where did that tool shed come from? Why was there such a gap with the trap door that you could slip between the door and the lock? Does anybody know how stab wounds work? Where did Bobby Joe (DePaiva) go?

I will praise the movie for the makeup work. I thought the demon transformations were very good. I was impressed with that.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment