Saturday, July 16, 2022

Notorious

Notorious (1946)

Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Screenplay by Ben Hecht & Alfred Hitchcock & Clifford Odets

Based loosely on the short story, "The Song of the Dragon" by John Taintor Foote 

Stars: Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, Louis Calhern, Leopoldine Konstantin, Reinhold Schünzel, Moroni Olsen, Ivan Triesault, Alexis Minotis, Eberhard Krumschmidt, and Wally Brown

People have said that this is their favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie. I have seen a fair share of his movies. This will be at the bottom of my list.

During the aftermath of WWII, Nazi sympathizers are being sentenced around the country. This includes Alicia Huberman's (Bergman) father. An "American?" agent, T.R. Devlin (Grant) is tasked to have Alicia work for the U.S. government as a spy. They have to go to Brazil to reconnect with an old friend, Alexander Sebastian (Rains) who may be a secret Nazi.

I don't get the hype with this movie. The romance part of the movie was abrupt. 'I met you. Two days later, I love you.' What? The "intrigue" of the movie was nothing. Nothing happens in this movie. 

Hitchcock was real subtle with his shots. I am being sarcastic. He was knocking you over the head with it. We get it. A close up shot the wine bottles. Okay.

I didn't understand anything about Grant's character. Was he supposed to be American? That's fail. Was he a British agent working for the Americans? Fine.

The central "mystery" of the movie was confusing. I didn't like it. I didn't care.

The only thing that saved the movie was Claude Rains. He was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar and deservedly so. He was the lifesaver to this sinking boat of a movie.

Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment