Sunday, July 24, 2022

Crimes of the Future

Crimes of the Future (2022)

Written and directed by David Cronenberg

Stars: Viggo Mortensen, Kristen Stewart, Léa Seydoux, Scott Speedman, Don McKellar, Welket Bungué, Tanaya Beatty, and Nadia Litz

This was one of my most anticipated movies for the first half of 2022. For a while, I thought this was a remake of Cronenberg's Crimes of the Future from 1970.  It's not. My ultimate question is the point of the film.

In the near future, humankind has evolved from dealing with pain. People have open surgeries on the streets for some reason. The story focuses on a performance art duo, Saul Tenser (Mortensen) and Caprice (Seydoux) that are trying to do something different with their act.

When I saw the posters for this film, I thought it was going to be gross body horror. There is some in here, but it felt like an afterthought. There wasn't a gross out factor here. I was mainly bored. I did not know the hell was happening, because everyone was whispering so much. 

Can somebody please tell me why was Saul Tenser dressing like Emperor Palpatine most of the time? I'm serious. Was lightning gonna shoot out of his hands? Was Saul symbolizing death? I didn't get it.

What was the point of the movie? I didn't see it. This might be good to watch in the background while you doing chores around the house.

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment