Friday, July 15, 2022

The Last Days of Disco

The Last Days of Disco (1998)

Written and directed by Whit Stillman

Stars: Chloë Sevigny, Kate Beckinsale, Mackenzie Astin, Matt Keeslar, Robert Sean Leonard, Chris Eigeman, Jennifer Beals, Michael Weatherly and Matt Ross

There was a meme going around on film twitter recently about people recommending movies. I was recommended this movie. I might be the wrong demographic for this movie.

This film takes place during the waning of the disco era. Two young professionals, Charlotte and Annie (Beckinsale, Sevigny) are trying to move up in the world of book publishing during the day. At night, they go to the local disco hall to dance the night away.

This movie was supposed to be based in the early 1980s. The movie doesn't feel like it took place in the early 80s. It felt very 90s with the hairstyles and the "costumes." I was confused when one part of the movie, the "Disco Sucks" movement is thrown in. That movement happened the summer of 1979. Really?

Don't get me wrong. The soundtrack is the highlight. I would buy the soundtrack. The characters were bland, nothing people. I did not care about what happened to them. The movie was blase with them. How was I supposed to be invested?

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment