Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Nocturnal Animals

Nocturnal Animals (2016)

Directed by Tom Ford

Screenplay by Tom Ford

Based on the novel, "Tom and Susan" by Austin Wright

Stars: Jake Gyllenhaal, Amy Adams, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Michael Shannon, Isla Fisher, Ellie Bamber, Armie Hammer, Laura Linney, and Michael Sheen

After I enjoyed A Single Man, I was looking forward to watching Tom Ford's follow up. I heard that the movie didn't get that much fanfare when it came out. I can see why.

A gallery owner, Susan Morrow (Adams) receives a book manuscript in the mail. It comes from her ex-husband, Edward (Gyllenhaal). As Susan begins to read the manuscript, the events of book are shown onscreen.

I have plenty of thoughts. I understand that Susan did not like or encourage Edward's writing career when they were married. Fine. The story that Edward wrote is not good. It was annoying to me. I did not care about the book character's lives. I was checked out.

I would have like the movie better if the book parts happened in the beginning and then it is revealed to be a book. Sure.

I cannot with this mess. Sorry.

Rating: 1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment