Thursday, July 14, 2022

To Catch a Thief

To Catch a Thief (1955)

Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Screenplay by John Michael Hayes & Alec Coppel

Based on the novel by David Dodge

Stars: Cary Grant, Grace Kelly,  Jessie Royce Landis, John Williams, Charles Vanel, Brigitte Auber, Jean Martinelli, and Georgette Anys 

This movie was on the essential viewing list for everything. The 50s, of all time and such. I wanted to love this movie, but it felt empty.

A series of jewel robberies are happening the banks of the French Rivera. The police suspect that now-retired cat burglar, John Robie (Grant) is their number one suspect. Robie takes it upon himself to find the real burglar.

On the surface, this movie would be catnip to me. Grant, Kelly, French Rivera, Edith Head costumes. I thought I would love the movie, but I didn't. I didn't connect to the movie. I didn't believe in the romance between Robie and Frances Stevens (Kelly). It came out of nowhere.

The biggest problem of the movie is the mystery. Who was the real cat burglar? It felt like the mystery was brushed aside. I knew who the thief was. I was waiting for the reveal.

This viewing was passable. I could not get into the movie to recommend it.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment